Thursday, July 08, 2010

Made with Love

from 'The Snow Queen'
I would love to illustrate a story by Melinda Syzmanik- here it is on Smories- have a listen, tell me what you think.

Melinda is a fantastic writer- she has a certain view that conjours up for an illustrator the most amazing images. I see in this one the gingerbread woman and the snowman out there, hearts melting... yum (illustration gluttony!) in that wonderful European style I so loved in my first ever picture book I remember being able to read 'all by myself' 'The Silver Thimble Story Book' (illustration above!) by Rie Cramer.

The difficulty with illustrating a book so deliciously is that one needs a publisher first who is then happy to have you both work together on it. The next hurdle is to 'buy' yourself time to do it justice. Six months usually. I am open to the idea of a patron...just saying...

Made with Love, by Melinda Syzmanik

2 comments:

Melinda Szymanik said...

can you imagine how much wine we would need at the launch?? I know its a big ask but would you be able to do one sample piccy I can send off with the ms???? and thank you for the lovely things you have said (blushes)

Fifi Colston said...

Wine: about a blurgastone I think...
Yes, I would love to do a sample illustration- I will set to work; it will give me some focus. I hope my post got the view numbers up on Smories (determined you shall win it)x