Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Misty Mountain of Employment...



So….I have been very quiet on my blog for a couple of weeks. There are two reasons for that. The first is that I was up in Northland for New Zealand Book Month. Did you know there was one? Well sort of…it’s been moved until next year because of the Rugby World Cup (I don’t know why!!!!) but at the time I was initially invited it was all go for October.
I visited 4 school over 3 days, teaching writing workshops to years 4-8 and then ran two weekend workshops  for adults in children’s’ book illustration and junior fiction novel writing. We all had a great time and hopefully all participants learned something new or were inspired some way to, as Nike says, ‘Just do it’. Because that’s what it’s all about in the end. No amount of plotting, planning, or strategising will make a difference to a bit of work getting out there and becoming a reality; to be enjoyed by its intended audience. You just have to work hard and finish the thing!

Which leads me to the other reason I have been a non-blogger this past week. In my last post I said I was lucky and I loved my new job in the film industry. I have been very quiet about which film but if you haven’t already guessed, it’s THE film. The one that’s been hitting the news, and because I held a placard and marched down the streets of Wellington with my co-workers, you may as well know I’m a costume illustrator on The Hobbit with the production company 3foot7. I am not to be confused with a costume designer- I don’t make the decisions on who wears what and what it’s made out of- I just help the team visualise their concepts on paper. Its great- I get to draw with real pencils everyday, and photoshop stuff. I work with amazingly talented people all bringing Peter Jackson’s vision to life and we are all looking forward to seeing the final cut and celebrating in the streets of Wellington when the last digital effect is put into place, some huge creature made by Weta Workshop is hoisted onto the Embassy roof and we all watch movies 1 and 2 and follow Bilbo Baggins into Mirkwood and beyond, proud of what we can do here in this country of ours.

Well, we hope.

I’m not a political blogger and have no intention of getting in to the heated discussions about unions, multi-national big boys, leanings to the left or to the right and who is responsible for swinging dollar and possible tourist industry collapse. There are plenty to follow if you want to read them.
All I know is, I love drawing and creating stuff. I’ve always done it and hope I always will. It is what I trained for at tertiary level and have spent the last 30 years as a freelancer doing. (My last effort will be a nice centrepiece for my recycled casket- made from egg cartons possibly and my daughter has been instructed to let loose on it with a paintbrush). The film industry is one area that employs enormous talent in copious quantities when a project of this magnitude comes into town. And as I marched with it last Wednesday, I wondered what we all will do if it comes to an end. After all, there are only so many supermarkets who will employ highly trained artists as shelf stackers isn’t there?
Kia kaha

2 comments:

Melinda Szymanik said...

How did it come to this?? I hope, hope, hope that the movie stays here and that you get to keep doing what you love and what you are so talented at...

TK Roxborogh said...

hugs and blessings to you