Thursday, July 28, 2016

Last Post


Hi all,

I’ve written a lot of blog posts here over the years, pouring put my thoughts and feelings, sweating over my grammar and writing style. I think I probably always secretly hoped that it would be picked up and I would get a regular column/following. It didn't! But I average 4000 post views a month- mostly for free templates I've put up.

Blogging was fantastic in its day, and there are many I still follow. Maureen Crisp’s Craic-er excellent links on writing, Melinda Syzmanik’s I Should be Writing, for when I need a fellow author to articulate how tough this children’s book industry is and feel not so alone, Jane Bloomfield’s Truth is Stranger Than Fiction  which is funny, irreverent and really should be more widely circulated, and of course Emily Writes Mama Said , she is the Chuck Wendig of motherhood- everything I wanted to say and was too afraid to... and I am not easily terrified. She makes me lol, which apparently is such an old hat expression, I am showing my age.
There are many more besides that I read and get a laugh/information/inspiration from, but the blogosphere has changed for me as a medium.

When I first started, it was all about being able to have a say, somewhere people might ‘hear’it. It's so hard to get published and it was such an instant medium, I was instantly gratified. I think that was true for a long time. But as Facebook, Instagram and twitter have taken over, so have my means of self-expression. I adore Facebook- I post on my personal page (no sorry you can’t join me there unless I know you very well) on everything from the weather, our cat’s antics and my horror at various international politics.

But I do I post on my public page  about my art, useful links to things I like and events I’m involved with (yes, please like me there!). I am getting to grips with Instagram.  I tweet because you are supposed to as an author, but really just go there to get breaking news. I have a LinkedIn profile, but rarely go there- it’s a bit dry for me and it keep suggesting jobs for me like CEO of manufacturing companies (how can their algorithms be so out?) Pinterest is a fantastic resource and I put some of my wearable art and various crafts up there. I also have many secret boards for inspiration. I am, at heart, a squirrel. 

So I have a few bases covered.

So, this blog, as a means for my news, opinions and brags, is kind of redundant. In the spring I’ll revamp it so it becomes a dedicated website for seeing my portfolio and services. You will still be able to access my old blog posts. I think I’ve grown as a writer since my first post 11 years ago. 
Certainly, now I have glasses.


See you in other media J

3 comments:

Yvette Carol said...

I think you've made the right decision, Fifi. It just goes to show that it's not talent or star quality or your way with grammar that decides who goes on to "have a column," it's sheer luck of the draw.
p.s. it was lucky I didn't have a mouthful of tea when I read that at heart, you're a "squirrel." I really thought that was funny! :-)

Jane Bloomfield: truth is stranger than fiction said...

Thanks for the shout out, Fi! And enjoy your retirement from bloggerdom. Can hear the sighs of relief down here! Janex

Raewyn the librarian said...

Hi Fifi
I am an ardent fan - I regularly drop by for free templates, lol. Through these holidays I have been promoting your Wearable Wonders book and your Ghoulish Get-ups. We developed a Kid's Cosplay program and shared your tips for great dress up ideas. Visit Southland District Libraries on Facebook for some photos.
The broken arm was a hit, the kids loved 'warts and all' and we finished with some egg carton crafting which totally inspired the mothers who decided to stay.
Thanks Fifi for your readiness to share freely.

Raewyn.